Thursday, January 27, 2011

making time

I am way too stressed for this point in the semester.  It's probably the fact that I am taking far too many credit hours, but it's still awful.  I feel like all I do is go to class, eat, and do homework.  

Today I had an exceptionally long list of things to get done before this weekend, so the stress level was up even higher.  I got back after my last class today and sat down at my desk to do homework and was greeted by a Skype chat from my friend Hadley.  I really did not have the time to talk, but I love her and we had a few things to catch up on, so I decided we could talk for ten minutes, then I'd get started on homework.  We got to talking about blogs and quotes and inspiration and Taylor Swift, all which led to talking about Stronghold.  Stronghold is our youth group's annual retreat, and this year will be the first year in a while that I will not be able to go.  It is so hard on me to not be there to see my friends be senior leaders and see the amazing things I know they'll do, and more than anything I just want to be there to support them.  

Hadley and I were talking about her role as a junior at Stronghold.  She said, "I'm so scared for this years stronghold. like i cant even start thinking about it because last year i lost my role model."  Broke my heart.  I love this girl to death, and so badly wish I could be there for her.  But I've realized that my time in youth group has passed, and the way that I can be there for Hadley is to make time for her.  I could have told her that I had homework to do, but instead I happened to make a good decision and talked with her for three hours.  

I want this to be part of my definition.  I want to be there for people at all times, especially when it's not convenient for me.  I do not want to make excuses, I just want to be there.  I want to make time for relationships and important things in my life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment