Thursday, November 15, 2012

Speak Now

I am admittedly a Taylor Swift superfan.  Anyone who has ever been my roommate when a new T-Swift album comes out can tell you that I play those songs until I have every single lyric memorized.  When Taylor talks about her last album, "Speak Now," she always says that at that point in her life, she was all about saying the things that needed to be said, never holding anything back, and never thinking "what if" about a situation in her life.  She wanted to be so invested and have such a role in her own life that "speaking now" and having intentional conversations with people was important to her.

I feel like that is an area that's become more important to me in my life.  I've never been one to share anything that happens in my life, and don't like to bother other people with my life or my problems.  However, it surprises me every time how much I can learn about a person after sitting down with them.  I've realized and come to appreciate the value that comes from having genuine conversation with people.  "Speaking now" and opening up my heart to someone or telling them my story gives them an insight to the person I am.

Being able to talk to people like Sam, Veronica, Vettie, Jordan, Mark, Grace, Kaelin, Bennett, and Josie this semester has resulted in some of the greatest and most rewarding conversations that I have ever been a part of.  Finding out how much people care about me and genuinely desire to be a part of my life, I realize how blessed and thankful I am for the life I'm lucky enough to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment