Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"This has been my favorite day at Drake so far."


After class and lunch today, Yvette and I were both free for the rest of the afternoon.  So naturally, we decided that we should go on a friendship walk.  Duh.  I mean, it was 55 degrees out on the first day of February, and we didn't really have any pressing homework to do, so exercise and enjoying Des Moines seemed like the best thing to do.  As we were walking out the door of our dorm, we ran into Nikki Marschke who was on the job delivering mail around campus.  Yvette and I have always wanted to steal the golf cart things they drive around in, but instead, Nikki said we could "job shadow" her for a while.  It was so great.  I might just go get an on-campus mail job.



After Nikki, Yvette, and I delivered mail to Olin, Yvette and I decided to actually start our friendship walk... after exploring Olin.  We decided that it was imperative we locate where the 3 floors of mysterious study rooms actually were and how to get to them.  Turns out, it's really quite simple.  You just take the stairs up to the second and third floors, and magically there are awesome study rooms there. And the ceiling from the first floor goes all the way up to the third floor, making creeping quite convenient.  

So we finally set off on our friendship walk, ran into Catherine who was completely pro-friendship walk, and set off on our way.  We really had no idea where we were going, and were mostly okay with that.  We had lots of friendship conversation, laughed about ridiculous things (which happens whether we're on a friendship walk or not), met a new runner friend, found where the sidewalk ends, tweeted, and then had to make a decision.  

So we were walking away from campus, and eventually needed to go left, and backwards.  However, the road we were following was not really on the same page.  After walking quite a long way, the road we were on made a sharp right turn.  Conveniently, there was a random foot path that went to the left, down a hill towards what looked like a major road.  We figured we'd go down the path, across the random grassy area, and walk on the sidewalk by the main road back to Drake.  

I went down the path first, and as soon as i finished thinking "oh man, this is slippery. i should grab onto a tree..." I slipped, fell, and slid down the hill in front of me.  I had so much mud all over my pants and sweatshirt that I was wiping it off of me the rest of the walk home.  

Although the fall was extremely painful and I had to ice my butt this afternoon, it was totally worth it.  I absolutely love hanging out with Yvette.  No matter what we're going through together or individually, we can always be together and laugh and remember that life's meant to be worthy of laughter.  I am so thankful for her, and especially within the last week when life's just been hard, I'm glad that she's always willing to be there for me.  I'm thinking that friendship walks are out of the question for our future, but maybe a friendship movie night or a friendship trip to fro-yo would be better alternatives for us.  


1 comment:

  1. I have literally spent my entire week in the second floor Olin study room. I'm sad I missed you when you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete